Students: 185 (enrollment fluctuates throughout the year because Sterne offers rolling admission)
Average Class Size:
- Lower School: 6-12
- High School: 10-15
Administrative Staff: 19
Sterne has a diverse community from all over the Bay Area, comprising LGBTQ+ families, single-parents, cross-generational households, adopted children, and economically diverse families.
Our Neurodiverse Population
- 34% of Sterne students have ADHD
- 24% of Sterne students have dyslexia
- 12% of Sterne students have dyscalculia
- 12% of Sterne students have generalized anxiety disorder
- 5% of Sterne students have auditory processing challenges
Data based on 2021-2022 student population.
Campus & Facilities
Sterne is an urban campus, sitting at the crossroads of the Financial District, North Beach, and Chinatown. We are a short walk from BART, Muni, and the Ferry.
- 49,450 square feet
- Rooftop recreation area, including a basketball court and a turfed grassy area
- State-of-the-art science lab
- Art studio and gallery walk space
- Full-court gymnasium*
- Drama classroom and black box theater*
- Digital film studio*
- Music classroom, including recording and practice studio*
*Newly opened in 2023
Accreditation, Membership, & Partnership
Full Circle: Sterne School is named after Eleanor Sterne, who worked at the UCSF Reading Center in the 1970s. Our founder Val Anthony trained with Eleanor Sterne and named our school in her honor. We are proud to partner once again with UCSF!