Director of Marketing and Communications
About Sterne School
Sterne School is like no other. We believe that there is not a one-size-fits-all educational approach in a world where everyone’s learning profile is unique. This is why we are committed to serving a diverse population of students and families in a student-centered community where support is part of—not the exception to—an excellent everyday school experience. Our mission is to build on the foundation of individual strengths to nurture each student’s version of greatness. The Sterne School team of staff and faculty love working here because we make a real and lasting impact in the lives of students and their families, every day.
Sterne School has grown exponentially in the past 4 years, and we are looking for a master strategist who recognizes our brand potential and positions Sterne School as the Bay Area school of choice for students who break the mold. Sterne School is a 4-12 grades school with two distinct programs, faculty and narratives. This candidate will be adept with telling the story of Sterne School for a variety of audiences including students, parents, donors and the larger community.
This position sits at the intersection of the school, and includes internal and external relations, enrollment and fundraising – all while supporting the promotion of key school programs, people and events across various channels.
The Director will partner with and supervise the Marketing Specialist. The Marketing and Communications Director reports to the Head of School and is part of the senior administrative team.
- Develop high-level marketing plan and strategy that aligns with the school’s brand and strategic plan commitments; communicate and collaborate with all stakeholders.
- Oversee management of all school communication platforms, including website, print, video, social media channels, email campaigns, and other media.
- Work with the Admissions Team to identify strategic marketing activities that expand enrollment, including partnerships, digital and print advertising, and other platforms to reach new audiences.
- Work with the Development Team to create strategies to reach donors and support stewardship and fundraising goals. Partner with development in creation of fundraising/stewardship collateral.
- Ensure alignment of the school’s messages, branding, and image across publications and media.
- Optimize social media as a marketing tool to reach students and families across grade levels and school programs.
- Explore events, partnerships, and other opportunities to connect Sterne to the greater San Francisco community.
- Drive and elevate our community and industry-level strategic positioning around our school profile and Head of School.
- Provide quick response/crisis communications including both immediate notification of constituents as well as advising the Head of School on process, messaging, and media relations.
What You Bring
- A desire to work with students, teachers, and families in a warm, inclusive environment
- A degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
- Substantial experience in marketing, website strategy, and branding; school or non-profit setting preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of integrated marketing and communications planning and programming
- Ability to manage projects and communicate effectively with school leadership, cross-departmental staff, teachers, and students to keep on track.
- Proficiency in multiple social media platforms and ability to make informed decisions regarding how to best position the school and engage all stakeholders
- A commitment to ethical story-telling and cultural competence in all aspects of communications and marketing
- An interest in optimizing the school’s website, marketing, and advertising foundation to bring Sterne School to the next level
- Ability to self-start, engage in creative problem-solving, and maximize resources
- Strong written and proofing skills
- Experience using industry-standard communications and website platforms (Blackbaud, Finalsite, etc.)
- A good sense of humor - We bring joy to learning and to work!
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Melissa Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sterne School is an equal employment opportunity employer and enforces each person’s right to equal employment opportunity. This means that employment decisions in recruitment, selection, training, assignment, rate of pay or other compensation, termination or any other personnel action are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.