Current Open Positions:
Full-Time Upper Elementary Teacher (grades 4-6); starting 2019-2020
Full-Time Middle School Teacher (grades 7 & 8); starting 2019-2020
Sterne School is a private, co-educational school for students who learn differently. The Sterne School curriculum is a strengths-based model promoting intellectual curiosity, creativity, problem-solving, and self-advocacy. Sterne’s faculty and staff are committed to helping our students grow and blossom into their strengths and place in the world.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of teaching experience, a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Master’s degrees are preferred) and/or teaching or special education credentials. A successful candidate in this position will possess:
- A familiarity with the educational and developmental needs of children who think and learn differently
- A passion and commitment to creating a supportive, fun, and enriching classroom culture that reflects Sterne School’s core values and teaching philosophy
- An interest in professional growth, development, and leadership opportunities
- Experience with technology as a tool for engaging students and enhancing instruction, experiential/project-based learning, and innovative thinking
- A commitment to equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices
- The ability to communicate positively, openly, and in collaboration with students, teachers, peers, and the parent community
- A willingness to contribute to our co-curricular offerings (e.g. coaching, sponsoring a club, leading an Experiential trip, etc.)
Reports to: Head of School, Head of Department and Director of Learning
Hours/classification: Full time/Exempt
- 8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
- Some school-sponsored events
- Field trips/experiential learning opportunities
- Team player in school’s marketing efforts
Our teachers work collaboratively to design and execute curricula in line with student strengths through our scope and sequence and available technology. Executive function skill building and social-emotional learning is heavily emphasized and incorporated throughout the curriculum.
The successful teacher differentiates in order to meet students individual needs and foster their unique learning styles. Having a skill-focused curriculum allows our educators to teach core content with an emphasis on strategies that improve executive functioning skills. Professional development is both encouraged and expected to support each teacher’s growth and understanding of our population.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to 21st century teaching approaches, that include the use of technology, innovative thinking, and experiential/project-based learning. At Sterne, we promote cultural competency and global awareness. It is an expectation that our teachers meet the needs of the diverse population we serve by creating a curriculum that is dynamic and inclusive to all.
Our students are guided along their educational journey through with high-support and high-expectations. Faculty communicate frequently between students, parents, and colleagues in a relationship-based model that promotes self-advocacy and accountability.
Salary/benefits are commensurate with experience and our peer schools in the San Francisco Bay Area and with comparable NAIS schools. All Sterne School teachers are encouraged to participate in our Professional Advancement Program.
If you are interested in this position, please email your cover letter, resume, and teaching philosophy to Sarah Ridenour at email@example.com
School is an equal employment opportunity employer and enforces each person’s right to equal employment opportunity. This means that employment decisions in recruitment, selection, training, assignment, rate of pay or other compensation, termination or any other personnel action are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, immigration status, military and veteran status, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, actual gender or the perception of gender through a person’s identity, appearance or behavior, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, or cancer-related medical condition, marital status or veteran status.