Effective Date: October 12, 2020
1. The Information We Collect.
(a) Information That You Provide. Depending on how you use the Website, you may voluntarily choose to provide us with personal information, which includes any information that identifies or can be used to identify, contact, or locate you (“Personal Information”). Examples include your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. Whether you choose to share your Personal Information with us is completely up to you, but please keep in mind that you may not be able to effectively use parts of the Website and related functionality without sharing your Personal Information. Below are some examples of when we may collect Personal Information from you.
(i) Registration and Portals.
(A) We will collect certain Personal Information from you, such as your name and email address, if you register for the Website and create an account (“Account”) as a parent of a student that attends the School (“Parent”) or a faculty member or staff member of the School (“Faculty Member”). After you create an Account as a Parent or Faculty Member, you will be directed to the online Parent or Faculty Member portal, as applicable.
(B) Parents and Faculty Members who have Accounts may provide additional information within their respective Account. For Parents, we collect information about you and your student(s), including name, email address, address, birthdate, vaccination records, medical information, parent profession and education, student ethnicity, and household profile. For Faculty Members, we collect information including your name and email address.
(C) Students at the School (each, a “Student,” and collectively, “Students”) who are over 13 years old and attend the high school will be provided with an Account to access the School’s internal Website portal. To login to the internal Website portal, Students must use the login credentials sent to their School-registered email account. Students do not provide additional information within the Account.
(iii) Correspondence With Us. The Website contains email links to contact us and you may elect to include Personal Information in communications that you send to us through those links.
(b) Information We Collect As You Access Our Website. In addition to any Personal Information or other information you choose to submit to us, we and our third party service providers may use a variety of technologies that collect certain non-Personal Information whenever you visit our Website (“Usage Information”). Methods that we use to collect Usage Information include the following:
(i) Cookies. A cookie is a small text file stored by your browser that allows the Website to “remember” your preferences (such as website bookmarks) on the Website from visit to visit, or to maintain your “logged in” status when visiting protected areas. Usage of a cookie is in no way linked to any Personal Information while on our Website. Web browsers have settings allowing you to reject cookies, or selectively accept cookies, or delete cookies previously accepted. Please be aware that rejecting or deleting cookies from our Website may make certain functions unavailable to you.
(ii) Log Files. Similar to many websites, we use website statistical packages such as Google Analytics to analyze trends in how our Website is accessed and utilized. Information monitored includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, geographic location of visitors (country, city), browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, time spent on pages, and keywords used to find our Website via search engines. This information is anonymous and cannot be directly linked to individual users.
(iii) Online Tracking; Do Not Track Signals. Some web browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature. This feature lets you tell websites you visit that you do not want to have your online activity tracked. These features are not yet uniform across browsers. We do not engage in online tracking of our users (i.e., the collection of personal information about a user’s online activities over time and across third party websites or online services), and therefore, the Website is not currently set up to respond to “Do Not Track” signals. We also do not authorize third parties to collect Personal Information about an individual user’s online activities over time and across different websites when a user uses the Website
2. How We Use Your Personal Information.
Our primary goal in collecting your Personal Information is to respond to and fulfill your requests of us, or to help you use the Website. For example, we will use your Personal Information to process an online donation. We may use technical information to analyze trends, administer and improve the Website, and monitor traffic and usage patterns for information security purposes. In addition, your Personal Information may also be used to send you surveys or to send you event reminders through messages or other alerts, or as otherwise required by law.
3. Who We Share Your Information With.
(a) Service Providers. We may share your Personal Information with companies that perform services for us, such as processing online donations and analyzing customer data. They have access to Personal Information as needed to perform their functions, but may not disclose your information for other purposes.
(b) Disclosure By Law; Protection of Us and Others. We may disclose information you provide if we, in our sole discretion, believe that disclosure is reasonable to (1) comply with the law, requests or orders from law enforcement, or any legal process (whether or not such disclosure is required by applicable law), (2) protect or defend our or a third party’s rights or property, or (3) protect someone’s health or safety, such as when harm or violence against any person (including you) is threatened. We may also disclose information you provide if we, in our sole discretion, suspect fraud or other illegal activity.
(c) Business Changes. If any or all of our assets are acquired by, or merged with another entity, we will share some or all of your information with this entity and/or your Personal Information may then be owned by that entity.
(d) In the School Directory with Consent. We provide a Sterne Family Directory to current members of the School community that contains you and your Student’s name and address, your email, and the Student’s grade. You must “opt-in” to allow us to include your information in the Sterne School Directory.
4. Updating and Correcting Information; Opt-Out. If you need to change any Personal Information that you provide to us, you may update or correct such information by writing us at email@example.com. You may opt-out of future communications from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” button found at the bottom of email communications, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you cannot opt-out of receiving administrative and transaction-related emails from us.
6. Retention. We may retain your Personal Information on internal servers for as long as the information is required to fulfill our legitimate business needs, the purposes for which the Personal Information was collected, to comply with legal obligation, or for such other period as required by law.
7. Security. We take the security of your Personal Information seriously and take precautions to protect your Personal Information located on our internal servers. For example, we use standard, industry-wide, commercially reasonable security practices such as encryption, firewalls and SSL (Secure Socket Layers) to protect Personal Information. But no method of data transmission over the Internet or data storage is 100% secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the absolute security of any information on our internal servers or transmitted to or from the Website. You must maintain the security of your information as well – for example, by not sharing your password and account information with any unauthorized parties.
8. Age Restriction. This Website is not intended for individuals under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 13. If you become aware that your child under the age of 13 has provided us with Personal Information, please contact us. If we become aware that an individual under 13 has created an Account and provided us with Personal Information, we will take steps to remove such information and terminate that person’s account.